Thursday, March 3, 2011

Midterm Portfolio: Reflection

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60288392@N08/
This week instead of a normal post on reflection from the past week, I am reflecting on the first half of the semester. Midterm Portfolio...hard to believe its already here! This semester has seemed to just fly by. I feel like I have learned so much about the human body. However, I know there is still a lot left to learn.
Above I have posted the link to my flicker account in which I have posted several photos of my manikin and 10 drawings from class. Overall, I am very proud of my drawings and feel I have come along way. The reason I took this class is because drawing is something I enjoy very much, especially the human form. So, naturally I enjoy this class very much, probably the most out of all my classes this semester. For two hours I can block out any thoughts, worries, or stress I have going on in my head, and just focus on my drawing. I love the feeling I get after I produce a drawing I'm happy with, that feeling of accomplishment that consumes all my thoughts. Drawing takes me into a different world where I feel comfortable and relaxed, but also challenged and focused. In this class, I get to experience this every time I attend.
I did struggle with a couple of things at the beginning of the semester. At first I was frustrated with just drawing just the spine. I hated spending 45 minutes drawing only to draw one line. But, as time went on I began to understand the reason we spent so much time on the curves of the spine. Learning how to get the angles right builds the foundation for a good drawing of the human form. It's the backbone of the whole process. I also struggled sometimes with certain angles of the hips. When the model was turned at a quarter angle towards me, I always got confused at exactly what those bones were doing. This obstacle was also overcome as the semester went on. With a little help from Amy, I began getting those angles correct.
All in all, the first half of the semester has gone very well. I am satisfied with the drawings I have produced so far, I moved through some of the areas I was struggling in, and I get a lot of enjoyment out of the class.


This is a drawing for the most recent class period. Finally, we got to put everything we've learned together into one drawing.  Drawing the model from almost straight-on was a little difficult, but I got through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment